Wind Breathing (風かぜの呼こ吸きゅう Kaze no kokyū?) is one of the five breathing styles derived directly from Sun Breathing.
Wind Breathing is a breathing style that mimics the wind, specifically powerful air currents and whirlwinds, and replicates it with the user’s movements, techniques, and abilities. Most, if not all, of the known techniques and forms involve purely offensive attacks, most of them using spinning motions to generate rapid whirlwind-like blows that greatly increase the wielder’s striking range or using the air around him to deliver sickle-shaped slashing attacks. Wind Breathing users also imagine themselves creating and manipulating wind when using their techniques.
This style of breathing is also very close to Jigen-ryū, a style of swordsmanship that emphasizes initial attack and high stances.
This style of breathing was created from one of Yoriichi Tsugikuni’s students who attempted to learn Sun Breathing, but due to not being as innately powerful as Yoriichi, they were taught at the place an alternating personalized breathing style that focuses on their individual strengths and weaknesses, which eventually evolved into wind breathing.
- Sanemi Shinazugawa
- Masachika Kumeno
The Wind Breathing has a minimum of 9 known techniques and forms.
- First Form: Dust Whirl Cutter (壱いちノ型かた 鹿じん旋せん風ぷう・削そぎ Ichi no kata: Jin Senpū – Sogi?) – The user dashes forward at blinding speed and continuously strikes in horizontal cyclone shape.
- Second Form: Purifying Windclaws (弐にノ型かた 爪そう々そう・科しな戸と風かぜ Ni no kata: Sōsō – Shinato Kaze?) – The user raises the sword upwards, downwards right, above his head and unleashes four vertical blows in one shot downwards on the enemy, resembling claws.
- Third Form: Clean Storm Wind Tree (参さんノ型かた 晴せい嵐らん風ふう樹じゅ San no kata: Seiran Fūju?) – The user triggers a whirlwind of shards around their body that can defend from incoming attacks and slice through its surroundings.
- Fourth Form: Rising Dust Storm (肆しノ型かた 昇しょう上じょう砂さ塵じん嵐らん Shi no kata: Shōjō Sajinran?) – The user launches multiple stabs above their target.
- Fifth Form: Cold Mountain Wind (伍ごノ型かた 木こ枯がらし颪おろし Go no kata: Kogarashi Oroshi?) – The user creates multiple arcing blows that increase in size above their target .
- Sixth Form: Mist of Black Wind Mountain (陸ろくノ型かた 黒こく風ふう烟えん嵐らん Roku no kata: Kokufū Enran?) – The user rotates their body in an uppercut motion, creating a arcuate notch.
- Seventh Form: Gust of Wind, Sudden Gusts (漆しちノ型かた 頸けい風ふう・天てん狗ぐ風かぜ Shichi no kata: Keifū – Tengu Kaze?) – The user soars into the air while swinging his blade which generates winds of incredible force to shred his opponent.
- Eighth Form: Primary Gale (捌はちノ型かた 初しょ烈れっ風かざ斬きり Hachi no kata: Sho Rekkaza Kiri?) – The user leaps into the air and swings their blade which generates torrents of circular winds that slice through the opponent instantly.
- Ninth Form: Idaten Typhoon (玖くノ型かた 韋い駄だ天てん台たい風ふう Ku no kata: Idaten Taifū?) – The user somersaults backwards through the air and, upside down, releases a powerful circular gust of wind that cleaves through everything below.