Tanjiro Kamado (竈門かまど 炭たん治じ郎ろう Kamado Tanjirō) is the main protagonist of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is a member of the Kano Demon Slayer Corps, who joined the organization to hunt down the person responsible for killing his family and turning his sister into a demon.
I swear that your big brother will protect you no matter what!
Tanjiro Kamado in Nezuko Kamado, Episode 1
Tanjiro Kamado Appearance
Tanjiro is a young man with rather tanned skin and an athletic physique. He has tousled black hair with burgundy ends, combed back to expose his forehead, and wide dark red eyes with white pupils that appear lighter around the lower part of his iris. He also has a scar on the upper left of his forehead, which he received when he protected his younger brother from a falling brazier. The scar originally looked like a scratch until his fight against the Hand Demon during final selection, after which it grows into his Demon Slayer mark. It’s worth noting that his hands are noticeably rougher for someone his age, due to his rigorous training under Sakonji Urokodaki. Tanjiro remarkably resembles his ancestor Sumiyoshi, possessing the same facial structure, eyes, and hairstyle as him, though Sumiyoshi’s hair is longer, about shoulder length, and is said to be tied in a ponytail behind his head.
Tanjiro first appears wearing a checkered haori, black and seafoam green, over a white dress and black pants. He sometimes wears a turquoise scarf and is seen with circular white bands wrapped around his calves. He also wears a pair of hanafuda earrings, with the image of a white and red flower. Her hair is also kept tied in a ponytail or a bun; when he trains with Sabito and Makomo, his hair grows down to his shoulders.
During the final selection, Tanjiro wears a blue cloud-patterned jinbei-style kimono and black pants, almost identical to Sakonji’s outfit. He still wears his hanafuda earrings, but his hair is cut extremely short and has remained the same length ever since. Like the rest of the apprentices who trained under Sakonji, Tanjiro wears a hand-carved fox mask by his master on the left side of his head. The mask has red accents on the eyes, ears, and spots on each corner of its mouth. In the upper right corner of the mask, there is a sun-shaped design which probably symbolizes the scar on his forehead.
After becoming a demon slayer, Tanjiro wears the standard demon slayer uniform, a dark brown gakurane jacket, white belt, loose pants that extend into tabi socks, a pair of zōri with red suspenders, and strips of white fabric wrapped tightly around his calves, all beneath his signature plaid haori. He carries on his back a large wooden box (given to him by Sakonji Urokodaki), where his sister sleeps when they travel during the day.
During his second encounter with Muzan Kibutsuji, he injures his right eye in the Infinity Castle. As the battle progresses, Tanjiro suddenly collapses and his wound begins to form a large lump over his right eye due to the poison Muzan inflicted on him. Later, when Tanjiro wakes up, Muzan describes him as “repulsive”. Later in the battle, Muzan cuts off his left arm.
After being turned into a Demon by Muzan, Tanjiro is able to heal the growths on his face as well as regenerate his lost arm and other small injuries. He gets eyes with slit pupils, fangs, and flame-like marks on his left forehead and right jaw reminiscent of Kokushibo’s, in addition to a third, smaller flame-like mark running down the right side of her head to her eyebrow after overcoming her weakness in the sunlight. His scar turns to flame as if it were a permanent demon slayer mark, it has become longer and is the largest of the three, and the three marks point vaguely towards his nose, though only his scar mark reaches him. He still wears his bloodstained corps uniform,
After reverting to his human form, Tanjiro loses the ability to see out of his right eye, whose iris is now a dull gray-pink color and pupil black instead of its original white. His left arm, which he regenerated into a demon, now takes on the appearance of that of an elderly person, becoming wrinkled and skeletal, and he loses all sensation below the elbow and thus the ability to move it from his shoulder. down.
Personality Tanjiro Kamado
Tanjiro is kind by nature and has been described by others as having very gentle eyes. He shows great determination and does not give up once he has a goal to achieve; the best example of this is his relentless quest to find a cure for Nezuko . Despite being relatively strong on his own, Tanjiro isn’t averse to asking others for help when he needs it. He is very protective of his friends and even more so of his younger sister. However, despite his kind and understanding nature, Tanjiro has a limit to his tolerance and has a distaste for rudeness and cowardice as he easily gets angered by Zenitsu Agatsuma’s constant whining, and gets angry at Zenitsu Agatsuma’s barbaric actions. ‘Inosuke Hashibira.
Tanjiro‘s most notable attribute is his ability to empathize with anyone, even Demons, which often causes him to hesitate before delivering the final blow. This moment of hesitation has a downside, as it allowed some Demons to take advantage of Tanjiro’s understanding nature to recover and continue the fight on rare occasions. However, as Tanjiro gains experience over years of service, he becomes more calculating and strict in his decisions. His courage to protect the weak commits him to facing his enemy with respect and dignity, whether against good people or evil Demons.
Beneath Tanjiro’s rather kind and friendly shell is someone who carries within them a growing fire of rage and vengeance. This side of him flees when Tanjiro first confronts Muzan, ready to draw his sword and attack him. When Muzan escapes, Tanjiro releases his frustration and states that he will be the one to kill Muzan. In another instance, when the Demon Slayers have their necks snapped by the Mother Spider Demon’s sons, Tanjiro shows a noticeable anger that even Inosuke feels. This side of Tanjiro comes out in full force after Muzan’s speech where he compares himself to a natural disaster. Tanjiro responds to this by calling Muzan “a being that shouldn’t exist”.
As a Demon, Tanjiro appeared to be a mindless being, like most are at first, following their transformation. He acted like a wild beast, unhesitatingly attacking anyone in sight. Even his friends and comrades were not safe. The only exception was Nezuko, whom he refused to harm even after tasting her blood; a possible sign that he was struggling with his transformation. His hostility towards Demon Slayers could also be due to his mind being affected by Muzan’s desire to kill all Demon Slayers.
Tanjiro Kamado Skills and Powers
Early on, despite not being part of the Demon Slayer Corps, Tanjiro was able to catch Giyu Tomioka, the Water Hashira off guard. After beginning his training in Water Breathing, he also became to take on multiple demons including a former Lower Grade 6, Kyogai. After remembering the Hinokami Kagura, he learned from his father as a child that he would have defeated Rui, Lower Rank 5, if Rui hadn’t cut off his head first. After awakening his Demon Slayer Mark and training even more, Tanjiro proved he was capable of standing up to even Higher Rank like Akaza, with Giyu even comparing his strength to that of a Hashira. After being poisoned by Muzan and having a mysterious vision of his ancestors, Tanjiro was able to fight Muzan on his own, Zenitsu and Inosuke. Muzan expressed discomfort towards Tanjiro due to the similarities between him and Yoriichi.
Natural Abilities Tanjiro Kamado
- Enhanced Smell: Tanjiro had an enhanced sense of smell even before he had sword training. He’s strong enough to sense the “gap line” – the slight pause in an enemy’s movement that allows him to open an opening to strike – and distinguish between species, as well as their approximate location. After training in this technique during his time as a Demon Hunter, Tanjiro gained the ability to sense emotions and track objects, humans, and demons over long distances. While training with Yoriichi Type Zero, Tanjiro gained the ability to predict his opponents’ movements through smell, which can be detected faster than the “gap line”.
- Combat Ability: This characteristic of Tanjiro was emphasized by Giyu during their first encounter, during which Tanjiro cleverly hatched a plan to attack Giyu by surprise by charging towards him, without showing the Demon Hunter that he was unarmed. , and knocking Giyu down with an ax he had previously thrown in the air. The attack failed, but Giyu was still very impressed with Tanjiro’s plan, especially considering he was a rookie at the time.
- Enhanced Strength: After his training at Sagiri Mountain, Tanjiro gained increased strength and speed and put it to great use, as seen when he jumped twice his height over the Demon of the hand, who killed Sakonji’s disciples, during the final selection. His forehead is also renowned for being exceptionally tough, as he is able to injure Sanemi Shinazugawa, Wind Hashira, and even knock out Gyutaro, a Rank 6 Superior, momentarily.
- Immense Speed: Tanjiro can keep up with Akaza, a Higher Rank 3 and an incredibly fast Demon, in their second encounter. After awakening his Demon Slayer Mark, Tanjiro’s speed increases further.
- Immense Reflexes: After awakening his Demon Slayer mark, Tanjiro gains extremely sharp reflexes. He becomes able to easily dodge and counter Daki’s attacks when she is in her weakest form, without Daki being able to hurt him.
- Crimson Red Nichirin Blade: In his second fight against Muzan, Tanjiro gains the ability to dye his nichirin blade crimson red, allowing him to hinder the regeneration of demons.
- Transparent World (透すき通とおる世せ界かい Sukitōru Sekai?): Like his father, he gained the ability to foresee the opponent’s attack while showing no fighting spirit and no sense of bloodlust , thus gaining immunity to anyone who can smell them. In this state, his movement intuition and evasion speed increase dramatically.
- Mark of the Demon Slayer: Tanjiro first awakens his mark by fighting Upper Rank 6, Gyutaro, and once again against the split forms of Hantengu, Upper Rank 4. Later, the mark reappears during his rematch against the Top Rank 3, Akaza. In his marked state, Tanjiro’s strength, speed, and reaction time increase dramatically. In his fight against Akaza, after gaining access to the Transparent World in addition to his Demon Slayer brand, Tanjiro is able to move fast enough to cut off Akaza’s head without giving him time to react, a move that would have killed Akaza had he not overcome his weakness to the Nichirin Blade decapitation. However, it should be noted that Akaza’s compass sensing ability relied on him sensing his opponent’s fighting spirit, and Tanjiro was unable to show any fighting spirit during this attack. The downside of its marked state is that Tanjiro can only enter it on rare occasions, and he can only use it for a very short time as it causes his body to become exhausted as proven during his fights against the superior Rangers.
Tanjiro Kamado sword art
Water Breathing (水みずの呼こ吸きゅう Mizu no kokyū?): Taught him Sakonji, the Water Hashira before Giyu. He can increase the amount of oxygen in the blood by controlling his breathing rate, which increases his strength and agility to equal that of a Demon. Tanjiro has now learned to do Full Focus Breathing at all times, which further increases his base strength, speed, and stamina. By concentrating on the precision of his breathing, he is able to stop bleeding from injuries. Thanks to this increased strength and his ability to find the “gap line”, Tanjiro can use ten different moves:
- First Form: Water Surface Slash (壱いちノ型かた 水みな面も斬ぎり Ichi no kata: Minamo giri?) – The swordsman generates enough momentum to create a single powerful focused slash.
- Second Form: Water Wheel (弐にノ型かた 水みず車ぐるま Ni no kata: Mizu guruma?) – The swordsman leaps and spins vertically forward in the air while launching a fluid attack in one motion circular.
- Second form: Improved – Lateral Water Wheel (弐にノ型かた・改かい 横よこ水みず車ぐるま Ni no kata kai: Yoko mizu guruma?) – Another variant of the second form: Water wheel that uses a horizontal rotation.
- Third Form: Flowing Dance (参さんノ型かた 流りゅう流りゅう舞まい San no kata: Ryūryū mai?) – The swordsman swings his blade at his opponent in a manner that mimics the movement of waves on the surface of the water.
- Fourth Form: Striking Tide (肆しノ型かた 打うち潮しお Shi no kata: Uchishio?) – The swordsman makes multiple consecutive slashes while twisting his body in a fluid manner, similar to a strong tide.
- Fifth Form: Blessed Rain After Drought (伍ごノ型かた 干かん天てんの慈じ雨う Go no kata: Kanten no jiu?) – A “goodness sword strike” that kills the target with little or no pain. Used when the enemy surrenders.
- Sixth Form: Whirlpool (陸ろくノ型かた ねじれ渦うず Roku no kata: Nejire uzu?) – The swordsman twists his upper and lower body fiercely, creating a whirlwind that cuts through anything in it. It can be used in a place without a foot, and if used underwater, it can generate a large whirlwind that sucks up anything nearby in addition to slicing through them like a large blade.
- Whirlpool: Flow (ねじれ渦うず・流りゅう流りゅう Nejire Uzu – Ryūryū?) – A combination of Third Form: Flowing Dance and Sixth Form: Whirlpool. The swordsman combines the footwork of Fluid Dance and the twisting aspect of Whirlpool, allowing him to perform an attack around the user and conjure up a twisting, swirling, vicious flow of water to redirect projectiles from multiple angles.
- Seventh Form: Piercing Raindrop (漆しちノ型かた 雫しずく波は紋もん突づき Shichi no kata: Shizuku hamon tsuki?): A quick and precise stab. The fastest water blast technique.
- Seventh Form: Drop Ripple Thrust – Curve (漆しちノ型かた 雫しずく波は紋もん突づき・曲きょく Shichi no kata: Shizuku hamon tsuki – kyoku?) (Drop Ripple in English Dub) – A modified move that strikes in an arc from an angle to minimize the impact of a moving target.
- Eighth Form: Waterfall Basin (捌はちノ型かた 滝たき壷つぼ Hachi no kata: Takitsubo?) – The swordsman cuts the target vertically.
- Ninth Form: Water Splash (玖くノ型かた 水すい流りゅう飛沫しぶき Ku no kata: Suiryū shibuki?): Minimizes landing time and area needed for landing, allowing the user to move without limits. Ideal for fighting in a place where there is no solid foothold.
- Ninth Form: Splashing Water – Turbulent (玖くノ型かた 水すい流りゅう飛沫しぶき・乱らん Ku no kata: Suiryū shibuki – ran?)
- Tenth Form: Constant Flow (拾じゅうノ型かた 生せい生せい流る転てん Jū no kata: Seisei ruten?) – A continuous attack that increases in power with each rotation, creating a strong cut.
Hinokami Kagura (ヒノカミ神楽かぐら Hinokami Kagura?): Taught to him by his father. A breathing technique that increases the user’s strength and endurance. The dance is made up of 12 segments repeated from sunset to sunrise. However, there is an unknown 13th form which is obtained if the segments are repeated one after the other, as the techniques are meant to be connected like a circle of the Flame Dance. It is later confirmed that the Hinokami Kagura is identical to the Breath of the Sun.
- Dance (円えん舞ぶ Enbu?): A single concentrated slash.
- Flash Dance (円えん舞ぶ一いっ閃せん Enbu Issen?): Tanjiro uses Zenitsu’s Thunderclap Flash and combines it with his Waltz by pumping air through his entire body, focusing it on his legs, and releasing it while ending with a flaming gash. This technique was able to get ahead of Genya Shinazugawa and Nezuko, as well as the fleeing Hantengu, although it was still slower than Zenitsu‘s thunderclap .
- Clear Blue Sky (碧へき羅らの天てん Heki-ra no ten?): An attack similar to “Water Wheel” in which Tanjiro spins his body to create a 360 degree gash.
- Raging Sun (烈れつ日じつ紅こう鏡きょう Retsujitsu kōkyō?): Tanjiro unleashes two horizontal slashes that defend him against frontal or side attacks.
- False Rainbow (幻げん日にち虹こう Gen’nichi kō?): Tanjiro uses this technique to evade techniques using high-speed twists and rotations. It works more effectively on enemies with good vision, as they will attack an image of him and not his actual body.
- Fire Wheel (火か車しゃ Kasha?): Tanjiro uses this technique in rapid succession with the Fake Rainbow and attacks the enemy while distracted.
- Burning Bones, Summer Sun (灼しゃっ骨こつ炎えん陽よう Shyakkotsu en’yō?): A circular gash that defends against incoming frontal attacks.
- Sunflower Thrust (陽よう華か突とつ Yōkatotsu?): A single thrust attack with the Edged Blade.
- Solar Heat Haze (飛ひ輪りん陽かげ炎ろう Hirin Kagerō?) – Tanjiro charges towards his opponent with a flaming blade to slash them.
- Sunset Transformation (斜しゃ陽よう転てん身しん Shayō Tenshin?) – Tanjiro flips mid-air to swing his flaming sword upside down.
- Beneficent Radiance (輝き輝き恩おん光こう Kiki Onkō?) – Tanjiro spirals through the air to deliver a powerful slash to those caught in it.
- Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance (日にち暈うんの龍りゅう 頭かぶり舞まい Nichiun no Ryū Kaburimai?): Resembling a dragon, the user circles around to avoid enemy attacks and then slashes the target multiple times. This technique was first used by Tanjiro in conjunction with Nezuko’s Blood Demon Art Blood Burst to improve efficiency. During his second battle against Muzan, he is able to use this technique without Nezuko’s help.
- Flame Dance (炎えん舞ぶ Enbu?): A two-combo strike that begins with a vertical slash and then a horizontal one right after.
- Thirteenth Form (十じゅう三さんノ型かた Jū San no kata?) – The user continuously performs the twelve forms of the Breathing Style in repetitive succession to increase the precision and agility of their movements. This form was created only to kill Muzan since the repetition of the twelve forms aims to destroy the twelve vital organs of Muzan (7 hearts and 5 brains) which move freely inside his body thanks to his shape-shifting ability .
During his fight against Upper 6th Rank Gyutaro, Tanjiro was able to combine Water Breathing and Hinokami Kagura techniques, allowing him to dramatically increase his speed for a short time and perform attacks that possess the qualities of both breathing styles.
Tanjiro is then turned into a Demon by Muzan Kibutsuji, as his last attempt at survival, even after being killed by the Demon Slayer Corps. Muzan hoped to pass on his feelings and abilities to Tanjiro, deeming him capable of fulfilling his legacy and becoming the true Immortal Demon King. Although Tanjiro was quickly turned back to human thanks to Tamayo’s humanizing drug, the power he displays during this brief time as a Demon seems at least equal to that of a high-ranking Demon, if not that. of Muzan himself.
Yushiro later stated that in terms of biological potential, Tanjiro’s potential to evolve as a Demon was much higher than that of his sister, who was the first Demon to develop resistance to sunlight, and even from Muzan.
Enhanced Regeneration: Tanjiro possessed tremendous regeneration ability, easily equaling that of a higher Rank. By becoming a Demon, he recovered from all the injuries he had suffered during his fights with Akaza and Muzan, reduced the growth on his face caused by Muzan’s poisoning, and then regenerated the damage caused. by sunlight, all in seconds. According to Giyu, Tanjiro’s regeneration speed, along with his resistance to sunlight, made him virtually invincible.
Sunlight Resistance: After his first transformation, Tanjiro is initially affected by sunlight like any normal Demon would be, but he quickly develops a resistance to it and is soon able to move around in broad daylight. without suffering any damage. It’s possible he’s able to do this because, as noted by Muzan just before his death, he shares blood with Nezuko, a Demon who conquered the sun, and his abilities seem to stem from his. Giyu claimed that with his immunity to sunlight, as well as his increased regeneration, Tanjiro is effectively invincible.
Crimson Red Nichirin Blades Resistance: According to Giyu, Tanjiro’s immunity to sunlight also grants him resistance against Crimson Red Nichirin Blades.
Shapeshifting: Like Muzan, and likely because he inherited his blood, Tanjiro has shown slight shapeshifting dispositions. He can grow spine-like protrusions on his back that grow into blade-like and whip-like tentacles that greatly increase his attack range. However, surely due to his state of mind, Tanjiro hasn’t shown the same skill in wielding them as Muzan.
Blood Demon Art (血けっ鬼き術じゅつ Kekkijutsu?):
Shockwave: Similar to Muzan, and likely because he inherited his blood, Tanjiro’s screams can create a powerful shockwave. The technique is powerful enough to blast Zenitsu, Inosuke, and Goto as they tried to hold it down, with only Nezuko being able to hold onto it.
Energy Beam: Tanjiro can fire an energy beam from his mouth. The technique is powerful enough to create a small crater. However, when a human Nezuko put her hand in front of her mouth, she walked away with a bleeding hand, though Giyu noted that he wasn’t trying to hurt her.
Battles of Tanjiro Kamado
Final Selection Arc:
- Tanjiro Kamado and Nezuko Kamado vs. Giyu Tomioka
- Tanjiro Kamado and Nezuko Kamado vs Temple Demon
- Tanjiro Kamado vs Sabito
- Tanjiro Kamado vs. Hand Demon
First Arc Mission:
- Tanjiro Kamado and Nezuko Kamado vs. Swamp Demon
- Tanjiro Kamado, Nezuko Kamado, Tamayo, and Yushiro vs. Susamaru and Yahaba
Tsuzumi Mansion Arc:
- Tanjiro Kamado vs Kyogai
- Tanjiro Kamado vs Inosuke Hashibira
Natagumo Mountain Arc:
- Tanjiro Kamado and Inosuke Hashibira vs Spider Demon (Mother)
- Tanjiro Kamado and Inosuke Hashibira vs Spider Demon (Father)
- Tanjiro Kamado vs Rui
Infinity Train Arc:
- Tanjiro Kamado and Inosuke Hashibira vs. Enmu
Entertainment District Arc:
- Tanjiro Kamado and Nezuko Kamado vs. Daki
- Tanjiro Kamado and Tengen Uzui vs. Gyutaro
Swordsmith Village Arc:
- Tanjiro Kamado, Nezuko Kamado, Genya Shinazugawa, and Mitsuri Kanroji vs. Hantengu
Hashira Training Arc:
- Tanjiro Kamado vs Sanemi Shinazugawa
Infinity Castle Arc:
- Demon Slayers vs. Muzan Kibutsuji: Part 1
- Tanjiro Kamado and Giyu Tomioka vs Akaza
Sunrise Countdown Arc:
- Demon Slayers vs. Muzan Kibutsuji: Part 2
- Tanjiro Kamado vs. Demon Slayers
- His given name contains the kanji for “coal” (炭 tan?), “to heal” (治 ji?) and “son, male” (郎 rō?), which is also a common masculine suffix. The first kanji in Tanjiro’s surname translates to “traditional Japanese wood- or charcoal-fired stove/stove” (竈 kama?), while the second kanji means “door” (門 do?).
- The second character could also refer to 退治 (taiji?), which refers to the exorcism of Demons.
- Here are Tanjiro’s rankings in the popularity polls:
- Tanjiro placed 1st in the first popularity poll with 6,742 votes.
- Tanjiro placed 4th in the second popularity poll with 9,045 votes.
- Tanjiro shares his Japanese and English voice actors with Sieg, the protagonist of Fate/Apocrypha.
- When Tanjiro lies, he cannot keep a straight face due to his honest nature.
- Tanjiro inherited his hard forehead from his mother.
- Tanjiro was incorrectly nicknamed Gonpachiro Kamaboko, Gengoro Shakariki, Tontaro Itadaki, Kanjiro Anago, Tangoro Hamado, Jangoro Amado, Monjiro, Kentaro, and Souchiro by Inosuke.
- Tanjiro is one of the few characters to have changed appearance with Nichirin’s sword.
- Apparently, Tanjiro is able to understand what the birds are saying.
- Tanjiro has been dubbed the most polite man in Kimetsu Academy.
- Tanjiro’s correspondents are Sakonji, Senjuro, the ladies of the entertainment district, Giyu (who never answers), and Tengen.
- Tanjiro is tone deaf.
- Tanjiro is the vocalist of the group “Stylish Scruffy Democracy” consisting of Zenitsu (Shamisen and song writer), Inosuke (Taiko drums) and Tengen (harmonica). “Exploding skin and the melancholy of modern smell” is their first song that made everyone who heard it feel dizzy and non-stop vomiting.
Quotes from Tanjiro Kamado (Kimetsu no Yaiba Wiki):
- (To Muzan Kibutsuji) “Muzan Kibutsuji! Wherever you go, I promise you won’t escape me! You can run as far as you want! I’ll follow you to the end of hell, and my blade will be the last thing you see! I will never forgive you for what you have done! »
- (To Kyogai) “I can’t forgive you for killing.”
- (To Rui) The bond between Nezuko and me, can’t be broken! Not by anyone! »
- (To Giyu Tomioka) “To dispel the regrets of those who were killed, to prevent other victims from appearing, I will relentlessly brandish my blade against the Demons, and that is a fact. But I won’t trample the pain of being a Demon. Nor on those who regret their actions. Because Demons were humans. Because they were humans like me. »
- (To Sanemi Shinazugawa) “If you can’t tell the good Demons apart from the bad ones, you should stop being a Hashira!”
- (To Enmu) “Don’t rush thoughtlessly into people’s dreams! I will not forgive you”.
- (To Zohakuten) “Stop playing the victim after killing and eating all those people!” You have a sick mind. Absolutely unforgivable. Evil demon…!! I’m going to chop off your head right here! ! »
- (To Akaza) “The strong protect the weak. The weak then become stronger and help those who are weaker than them. It’s the law of nature “.
- (About Muzan Kibutsuji) “I have never felt such coldness towards a living being before. My stomach is boiling with hate. This is the first time and it is directed against you, Muzan Kibutsuji”.