Mist Breathing (霞かすみの呼こ吸きゅう Kasumi no kokyū?) is a breathing style derived from wind breathing.
Breath of the Mist is a breathing style that mimics mist, specifically the darkness of mist, and replicates it with the user’s movements, techniques, and abilities. Most, if not all, of the known techniques and forms involve rapid strikes and movements executed in a unique way that confuses and obscures the opponent’s senses and surroundings, as if the user were creating illusions. Users who have mastered Mist Breathing see themselves as creating and manipulating mist when applying their techniques.
Based on the only known user of Mist Breathing, Muichiro Tokito, who wears loose clothing that covers his arms and legs to conceal his movements, one can assume that most other users will also have to wear clothing that conceals their limbs from the enemy to maximize the potential of this style of breathing.
- Muichiro Tokito
The Mist Breathing originally had 6 known forms and techniques, and a seventh created and only used by the current Mist Hashira, Muichiro Tokito.
- First Form: Low Clouds, Distant Mist (壱いちノ型かた 垂すい天てん遠とお霞がすみ Ichi no kata: Suiten Tōgasumi?) – The user unleashes a powerful thrust attack in front of them.
- Second Form: Eight Layer Fog (弐にノ型かた 八や重え霞かすみ Ni no kata: Yaekasumi?) – The user throws eight punches forward, one above the other, in extremely rapid succession.
- Third Form: Scattering Mist Splash (参さんノ型かた 霞か散さんの飛し沫ぶき San no kata: Kasan no Shibuki?) – The user launches a powerful circular blow in front of him that can be used to blow away the projectiles.
- Fourth form: Shifting Flow Slash (肆しノ型かた 移い流りゅう斬ぎり Shi no kata: Iryūgiri?) – The user quickly draws their sword and dashes towards their enemy at lightning speed to land a blow fast from below. This technique is extremely reminiscent of Iaijutsu.
- Fifth Form: Sea of Clouds and Mist (伍ごノ型かた 霞か雲うんの海うみ Go no kata: Kaun no Umi?) – The user dashes out at high speed and unleashes a flurry of blows that cover a wide area while obscuring its movements.
- Sixth Form: Scattering Moon Mist (陸ろくノ型かた 月つきの霞か 消しょう Roku no kata: Tsuki no Kashō?) – The user performs an upside-down somersault through the air and launches countless punches mass down, capable of decimating dozens of targets at once.
- Seventh Form: Darkening the Clouds (漆しちノ型かた 朧おぼろ Shichi no kata: Oboro?) – Muichiro Tokito’s personal creation. A technique in which the user drastically changes the tempo of their movements to disorient their enemy, which appears to take the form of clouds of mist enveloping a wide area. When the user shows up, his speed seems extremely slow, but when he hides, he moves in the blink of an eye.